Practical course of WWTP Modelling and Simulation
Towards whom is addressed?
- Professionals specialized in the fields of operation, design or commissioning of WWTP.
- Professionals and managers of industries with wastewater treatment plants.
- Students and professionals interested in specializing in the field of modelling and simulation of WWTP.
At the end of the course, the student will have obtain an assimilation of the IWA Activated Sludge Model Nº1 (ASM1), and practical skills in the management of free software Lynx ASM1 (developed by the group team in the Aula Bioindicación Gonzalo Cuesta). In addition, the student will have been able to evaluate the benefit / effort ratio offered by this kind of tools, based on the case studies presented and the own designs developed by the student during the practical exercise. So, the student will be qualified to learn how to diagnose the state of the process, to detect their limitations and explore the ideal strategies of operation in a great variety of scenarios.
1. FUNDAMENTAL ASPECTS. Presentation of the models. Advantages and limitations of mathematical modelling. Formulation. Organic matter removal. Organic matter and nitrogen removal.
2. FUNDAMENTALS OF ASM1. Decomposition of COD. Decomposition of Nitrogen. Monod kinetics. Constitution of the models.
3. ASM1 CONCEPTUAL MODEL. ORGANIC MATTER REMOVAL. Matrix format. Conceptual diagram. Stoichiometry. Kinetics.
4. ASM1 CONCEPTUAL MODEL. ORGANIC MATTER AND NITROGEN REMOVAL. Conceptual diagram. Stoichiometry. Kinetics.
5. CASE STUDY: IMPROVEMENT OF NITROGEN REMOVAL EFFICIENCY. Aims to overcome with the simulator. Description of the facility. Stage I. Design of study, collection of existing information. Stage II. Generation of the global mathematical model of the WWTP. Stage III. Calibration and validation of the model. Stage IV. Optimization of the operation.
6. LYNXASM1 STEP-BY-STEP TRAINING GUIDE. Main Screen Software. Characterization Options. ASM1 parameters introduction. Introduction of influent. Building the WWTP. Definition of reactor lines and flow distribution. Reactor volumes and oxygenation. connections between blocks. Definition of the return and waste activated sludge. Operation of the sludge line. Initial values in reactors. Simulation of the WWTP.
7. Practical exercise 1. Remodelling of an existing WWTP. Description of the existing plant. Influent characterization and scenarios to simulate. Considerations for the design. Design solution to the scenario 1. Low temperatures. Design solution to the scenario 2. High temperatures.
Who organizes it?
The different modules developed through PoliformaT (educational platform from which the online courses of the UPV are taught) are delivered.
How long is the course?
Equivalent to 40 hours of study of the pupil (4 ECTS).
What is the price of the course?
- Ordinary registration: 175 euros.
Who issues the certificate?
Registration is done online. Reservations: firstname.lastname@example.org